It’s a feeling we’ve all experienced before: the excitement of meeting someone new, the butterflies in your stomach, the rush of adrenaline when you think they might like you back. But what happens when you find out that the person you’re interested in already has a significant other? It can be a crushing blow, leaving you feeling heartbroken and wondering where you went wrong.
Signs He Likes You
So, you thought he liked you? It’s not uncommon to misinterpret someone’s intentions, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. Here are some signs he may have given you that made you think he was into you:
- He always seemed to be around you
- He laughed at all your jokes
- He complimented you often
- He made an effort to spend time with you
- He touched you often (in a non-threatening way)
Realizing He Has a Girlfriend
It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of a new crush, but sometimes we overlook the obvious signs that someone is already taken. Here are some common ways you might find out that he has a girlfriend:
- He casually mentions her in conversation
- You see pictures of them together on social media
- You hear about them from mutual friends
- He cancels plans with you last minute because of her
Discovering that the person you like is already in a relationship can be a tough pill to swallow. It’s normal to feel rejected and hurt, but it’s important to remember that it’s not a reflection on you as a person. Here are some ways to cope with the rejection:
- Allow yourself to feel the emotions
- Talk to a trusted friend or family member
- Focus on self-care
- Avoid dwelling on the rejection
- Remind yourself of your worth
Why He May Have Led You On
It’s possible that the person you were interested in may not have intentionally led you on. However, some people do enjoy the attention and validation that comes with flirting, even if they have no intention of pursuing a relationship. Here are some other reasons he may have led you on:
- He was unsure of his feelings
- He was looking for a backup plan
- He enjoys the chase more than the actual relationship
- He was trying to make his girlfriend jealous
- He was being manipulative
What to Do Next
So, where do you go from here? It’s important to take some time to process your emotions before moving on. Here are some things to consider:
- Do you want to remain friends with him?
- Do you want to continue pursuing a relationship with him?
- Are you open to meeting new people?
- What qualities are important to you in a partner?
Discovering that the person you thought was interested in you is already in a relationship can be a tough pill to swallow. It’s important to take some time to process your emotions and figure out what you want moving forward. Remember that it’s not a reflection on you as a person and that there are plenty of other people out there who will be interested in you for who you are.